Revision [34]

This is an old revision of HomePage made by DaveCooper on 2012-01-01 18:34:12.


A Brief History of OveryStaithe Sailing Club – Founded 1928.

A General Meeting was held on August 31st 1928 of interested visitors and locals in St Clement’s Parish Room to discuss the formation of a sailing club. The objects of the club were to be:
· To encourage the art of sailing.
· To promote healthy competition
· To hold frequent races.

The following were duly elected:President: Mr De Paula; Vice Presidents: Mr Lorrimer; Major Henderson; Mr Tabra; Mr Shepherd; Mr Phillips; Dr Stewart and Colonel Hales.
Members of the Committee were:Chairman – Rev C.E.Haines; Vice Chair – CaptM.Woodget; Secretary – Mr D. Carruthers; Asst Secretary – Mr A. Bell; Treasurer – Mr S. Everett;
Other Committee members were: Mr W. Haines; Mr J. Stoker; Mr May; Mr R. Woodget; Mr J. Riches.
The Annual Subscription was to be 2s 6d and vice presidents were approached for donations.
The first committee meeting was to take place on September 3rd 1928 at the residence of Mr W. Haines and the first sailing club race on September 5th 1928.
The first Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the club took place on September 3rd 1929 where Capt M. Woodget, ex Master of the Cutty Sark, was elected as the first Commodore. Rules of the Yacht Racing Union were formally adopted and the balance of the club’s accounts was £4 9s 3d.
A Silver Challenge Cup was presented by Dr Crossley Holland.

In 1934 Mr S. Everett was elected Chairman and Mr De Paula President. Major Henderson was elected Commodore and subs were increased to 3 shillings per year. The club had now been affiliated to the YRA.
The Lorrimer Cup was to be a handicap race with Stella and Ballerina as the scratch boats. There was much discussion of the maximum sail area of boats to be raced (80 square feet)
In 1935 the Secretary was asked to write to Holkham Estate for permission to erect a starting post on the bank. The cost of building a concrete slipway was also discussed.Course marks were to be Walpole Buoy, West Beach buoy and Chalk Bank Buoy to the north of Gun Hill (weather permitting).
The last recorded committee meeting before the war was held on June 1st 1936 with Major Henderson as Commodore. Other committee members present were F.Haines, N.H.May, M.Smith, D.Smith, R.Woodget. Local residents were to be encouraged to join the sailing club with a reduced membership fee of 2s/6d, ordinary membership to be 5s.

After the second World War a meeting was held at Flagstaff House on 28th December 1949 to re-form the sailing club. Present were: Mr Haines, Mr Green, Mr Bell, Mr May, Mr W. Haines, Mr R. Scoles, Mr W. Moore, Mr P. Noyes, Mrs Green, Miss Green, Andrew Green and Mr P.W.Webb.
Mr Allan Bell was elected Commodore and Mr C.Green Vice-Commodore.
At a Committee Meeting in February 1950 at Flagstaff House there was further discussion of building a slipway and an estimate from Welcome Thompson was accepted.

Third formation of the Sailing club.
A meeting of those interested in re-forming the Sailing Club for the second time was called on the 15th January 1961. Present were Peter Beck, Audrey Earle, Robert Wilson Stephens and Gilbert White. The club was granted a loan of £25 from the Regatta Fund. Annual membership was to be half a crown (2s 6d).
Gilbert White was elected Commodore, Audrey Earle Vice-Commodore, Peter and Mel Beck “Organisers”, Mr May Treasurer and Joe Scoles “Gun Man”. Other committee members were Nelson Scoles, Billy Scoles, Marshall Raisbury, Francis Scoles, Billy Moore, Sheila Disney, Ned Thompson and Robert Wilson Stephens.
The club was to be known as OveryStaithe Sailing Club”.
Simon Coombe presented a Cup. Audrey Earle’s converted longshore boat was used as a safety boat.
There are no comments on this page.
Valid XHTML :: Valid CSS: :: Powered by WikkaWiki